Upon completion of this module participants will be better able to:
Module 1: ANTI-INFLAMMATORY RELIEVER REDUCES EXACERBATIONS
• Describe the latest asthma treatment recommendations from the Global,
Initiative for Asthma (GINA) and the Canadian Thoracic Society (CTS);
• Discuss why over-reliance on short-acting beta-agonists (SABA) increases
risk of exacerbations and worsening asthma.
• Discuss recent evidence on anti-inflammatory reliever reducing asthma
• Identify strategies to transition patients from SABA as a reliever to
Module 2: PERCEPTION OF ASTHMA CONTROL
• Identify two treatment paradoxes that may impact patients’ acceptance
of asthma maintenance therapy;
• Describe how patient and physician perception of asthma control may
differ and how this may impact asthma management;
• Review asthma management in patients with asthma and COVID-19.